Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: lowering kit fail

  1. #1
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Spalding uk
    Posts
    57

    lowering kit fail

    hi all
    been busy flying about getting used to me mille (98 gen 1), but only having small inside leg measurements (im not a gnome btw),I found myself having issues with tip toe at standstill.

    so,i decided to lower the rear end with one of those dogbone triangle kits (30mm)

    problem.

    when I went to put the bottom fairing on it wouldn't fit.
    The wheel had moved towards the front.
    when I put on the sidestand , well looked like a breeze of wind could make the bike fall as it was leaned over a lot lol.

    now, I had 44/16 gearing but have changed to 41/16 although not seen if it makes a difference yet (ask you ppl 1st).
    AND it does not seem to have dropped at all.
    so question is : what the fek is going on lol
    the arrows on the triangles are facing towards the engine , also I am not going to cut the lower fairing to make fit !
    ofc I know nothing please treat me likewise......

  2. #2
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    70
    Looking at my bike I can't see how changing the dogbone would move the wheel closer to the fairing. Picturing it the other way by lowering the back end you are effectively moving the swing arm upwards and the the wheel should clear the fairings through the full range of the swing arms movement.

    As for the side stand, its fairly common to have to fit a shorter stand if you have lowered the bike, My understanding is the USA bikes had a shorter stand so that may be a good option. I've also seen people using stands from the Honda firestorm with a little modding.

    Its worth noting that by only lowering the rear it will change the attitude of the bike, essentially you will be increasing the rake angle making the bike more sluggish to turn (though should increase high speed stability)

  3. #3
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Spalding uk
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by rumple View Post
    Looking at my bike I can't see how changing the dogbone would move the wheel closer to the fairing. Picturing it the other way by lowering the back end you are effectively moving the swing arm upwards and the the wheel should clear the fairings through the full range of the swing arms movement.

    As for the side stand, its fairly common to have to fit a shorter stand if you have lowered the bike, My understanding is the USA bikes had a shorter stand so that may be a good option. I've also seen people using stands from the Honda firestorm with a little modding.

    Its worth noting that by only lowering the rear it will change the attitude of the bike, essentially you will be increasing the rake angle making the bike more sluggish to turn (though should increase high speed stability)
    thanks rumple.

    yes I thought it would move the swinging arm back.
    at a guess , I think ive been supplied with the wrong dogbones.
    better get in touch with the supplier
    will post when I have discovered what went wrong

    hess

  4. #4
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Spalding uk
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Hessler View Post
    thanks rumple.

    yes I thought it would move the swinging arm back.
    at a guess , I think ive been supplied with the wrong dogbones.
    better get in touch with the supplier
    will post when I have discovered what went wrong

    hess
    well...
    took the shock off looks like it was seized...
    managed to loosen spring off which now is very loose -https://youtu.be/KnxX8zujiv8
    had to use a hammer to loosen first
    so what do you recon? could cause this issue lol

    mm wont open link,, have to copy paste to se vid I guess
    Last edited by Hessler; July 21st, 2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: info

  5. #5
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Spalding uk
    Posts
    57
    I have not sourced another shock , but instead have found and acquired a futura complete rear end in good condition - all except the swing arm spindle.
    so, straight swop I think except for the sprocket and speedo cable.
    question : is this correct?
    I have scoured the forums but cant find an answer for speedo, and im guessing i.ll have to locate a different sprocket.
    Any help is appreciated, as I seem to have hit a dead end regarding the speedometer
    many thanks

    hess

  6. #6
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Spalding uk
    Posts
    57
    spindle the same -- hooray
    43t sprocket on it
    bearings shot - kit on the way - (apriliaperformance)
    no luck on finding an answer to the electics- so anyone got links would be great
    ty
    Hess

  7. #7
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Spalding uk
    Posts
    57
    going back to the post :
    supplier sent wrong dogbones.
    seems they sent for gen 2.
    now I have 2 sets that are worthless lol.

  8. #8
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Evesham
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hessler View Post
    going back to the post :
    supplier sent wrong dogbones.
    seems they sent for gen 2.
    now I have 2 sets that are worthless lol.
    Yes gen 1 and gen 2 are different slightly in shape. I have a set for my 2008 factory. But being 6'3 I fit the bike fine as it is

  9. #9
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    West of England
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Hessler View Post
    hi all
    been busy flying about getting used to me mille (98 gen 1), but only having small inside leg measurements (im not a gnome btw),I found myself having issues with tip toe at standstill.

    so,i decided to lower the rear end with one of those dogbone triangle kits (30mm)

    problem.

    when I went to put the bottom fairing on it wouldn't fit.
    The wheel had moved towards the front.
    when I put on the sidestand , well looked like a breeze of wind could make the bike fall as it was leaned over a lot lol.

    now, I had 44/16 gearing but have changed to 41/16 although not seen if it makes a difference yet (ask you ppl 1st).
    AND it does not seem to have dropped at all.
    so question is : what the fek is going on lol
    the arrows on the triangles are facing towards the engine , also I am not going to cut the lower fairing to make fit !
    ofc I know nothing please treat me likewise......
    No direct experience of this, but my first reaction would be: Don't cut the fairing...fit a longer chain and move the wheel back in the swingarm.

    Get a competent welder to cut the foot off the stand, shorten the leg & reattach the foot.

    Also don't forget to lower the front suspension: drop the yokes down the forklegs to restore the geometry or the thing will feel like a chopper

  10. #10
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    seaton devon
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wr11 rsvr View Post
    Yes gen 1 and gen 2 are different slightly in shape. I have a set for my 2008 factory. But being 6'3 I fit the bike fine as it is
    pm sent hessler

Similar Discussions

  1. mot fail
    By Hessler in forum Aprilia RSV Mille
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 26th, 2018, 07:16 AM
  2. Ignition wiring fail
    By scoffey in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
  3. Do sprags Fail on post 2004 bikes?
    By AREESSMILL in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 25th, 2009, 02:53 AM
  4. Lowering a RSV R
    By 2000miller in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •