Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: front brake pads '02 RSV-R

  1. #1
    mike1971
    Guest

    front brake pads '02 RSV-R

    hi to you you all.

    I'm just after some oppinions on what type/make of brake pad to put in my '02 RSV-R.
    I have seen some goldfren on flea bay for about 15 or so
    Then there is EBC for about 64 and genuine Brembo for about 75.
    All of the above are for a full set of 4.

    then we get onto compund type, I only ride on the roads at the speed limit

    All i know is that i'm not trusting my life to a 15 set of brake pads.


  2. #2
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    78
    EBC Double H Sintered we're really good on my old CBR, should imagine they should be ok for the Mille, although I am a noobie here so I could be talking out of my @rse

    I would be inclined to stay away from cheap pads as in my opinion you only get what you pay for and seeing as though your on 2 wheels i would go for something i would trust, just my 2p's worth. All the best mate

    Have a quick look here it will help you decide what you want for your type of riding.

    www.wemoto.com/info/Brake_Pads_GG_or_HH/

    Price:
    www.wemoto.com/bikes/Aprilia/RSV_Mille_R/01-02/
    Last edited by midex; January 8th, 2010 at 02:09 PM.

  3. #3
    Super Garvey Garvey2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Posts
    1,682
    to be honest, ive used the goldfren pads before. HH rating and stopping power was very good. The bad thing I noticed was when the bike ridden hard and brakes use alot, the pad would fade off a little. does that make sense?

    I would use them again but only if I wasn't intending a track day

  4. #4
    camngetit
    Guest
    i have goldfren no probs with them but i paid 30 for them i have heard of fake ones which might be the cheap ones i would def get them again

  5. #5
    One Liter Duc Eater sergi75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW LONDON
    Posts
    616
    I use amstrong (you can find them in ebay). They do perform very well but don't last long. Very good price though.

  6. #6
    pieman
    Guest
    phone griff for a good price on ebc pads. Not quite sure about their performance in the very wet and cold weather we had recently but i don't imagine other pads would have been much different!

  7. #7
    Evil Twin theruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1971 View Post
    hi to you you all.

    I'm just after some oppinions on what type/make of brake pad to put in my '02 RSV-R.
    I have seen some goldfren on flea bay for about 15 or so
    Then there is EBC for about 64 and genuine Brembo for about 75.
    All of the above are for a full set of 4.

    then we get onto compund type, I only ride on the roads at the speed limit

    All i know is that i'm not trusting my life to a 15 set of brake pads.

    never buy some third party to original brake discs as you will most probably ruin them. go for original brembo or maybe brembo racing pads if you have still braking discs from factory

  8. #8
    One Liter Duc Eater sergi75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW LONDON
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by theruck View Post
    never buy some third party to original brake discs as you will most probably ruin them. go for original brembo or maybe brembo racing pads if you have still braking discs from factory
    Why?

  9. #9
    Evil Twin theruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    472
    coz they are different compund and can do either damage to the discs or not brake as goo as the originals. which one of those you want? or you think that 15EUR brake pads are the same compund and quality as 75 EUR from brembo? the best advice you can get is to get the pads as original aprilia replacements

  10. #10
    One Liter Duc Eater sergi75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW LONDON
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by theruck View Post
    coz they are different compund and can do either damage to the discs or not brake as goo as the originals. which one of those you want? or you think that 15EUR brake pads are the same compund and quality as 75 EUR from brembo? the best advice you can get is to get the pads as original aprilia replacements
    Of course it is the best advice, but if they guy wanted to spend 75 he wouldn't be asking here. Anyway, I don't know much to be honest but I have been using amstrong 17 x set for 20k miles with original discs without problems in performance and disks are in good condition. If anything, they don't last as long as originals but I have done trackdays, European tours and ride all year around in all weather with no problems and good performance.

    I was just curious about why aftermarket break pads can damage brembo discs Has it happened to anyone you know?

  11. #11
    Evil Twin theruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    472
    does not mean that it has to happen with every brake pad but a friend of mine has worn his discs on a ducati 996 with some goldfren or newfren pads. if youa re satisfied with yours it is ok. i drive 20k miles in somethink like 6-7 years/seasons so it does not make an argument purchasing 17 E pads instead of 70 E originals

  12. #12
    One Liter Duc Eater sergi75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW LONDON
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by theruck View Post
    does not mean that it has to happen with every brake pad but a friend of mine has worn his discs on a ducati 996 with some goldfren or newfren pads. if youa re satisfied with yours it is ok. i drive 20k miles in somethink like 6-7 years/seasons so it does not make an argument purchasing 17 E pads instead of 70 E originals
    It's all good. You are happy with brembo pads based in your experience and I am happy with Amstrong so far.

    Anyway, here's what I use in case anyone wants to try.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aprilia-Front-...item5ad451b38d

  13. #13
    Mick Oliver
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sergi75 View Post
    It's all good. You are happy with brembo pads based in your experience and I am happy with Amstrong so far.

    Anyway, here's what I use in case anyone wants to try.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aprilia-Front-...item5ad451b38d
    I use Armstrong on mine as well you must remember they were the best along with Lockheed in the 70's but everyone goes for the new ones on the block like EBC and Brembo.
    What I am saying is Armstrong have been around alot longer than EBC they were the ones that developed the brakes when it went from drum to discs thats when they were British

  14. #14
    camngetit
    Guest
    this has been discussed before its a marketing thing to a degree i had ebc pads in my rsvr when i got it they were shit no feel felt wooden when coming to a stop they vibrated and made a noise . if they came with 20 pads as standard would you put in 70 pads and expect a big difference .brembo brakes are seen as top range stuff but you can get discs and pads for cars very cheaply are these crap whos to know

Similar Discussions

  1. What brake pads are best?
    By caz1314 in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: April 26th, 2012, 02:58 PM
  2. brake pads
    By jasbike in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 19th, 2009, 05:52 AM
  3. Front Brake Pads
    By amb67 in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
  4. Which front brake pads?
    By badgermilk in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM
  5. Brake pads
    By Black Sabbath in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •