Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: fans not cutting in/running rough/sticky throttle

  1. #1
    redratbike
    Guest

    fans not cutting in/running rough/sticky throttle

    started the bike up on sunday after 2 months (yes i have topped it up a couple of times with an optimate)

    while it was running the temp rose to 105 and fans didnt cut in..how where do i check wiring

    throttle not returning ...so i need to investigate that

    lastly running rough looks like one of the rear cylinder plugs on the rear most coil not working properly

    didnt have time to pull it all apart to investigate so hoping to soon before the weather warms up...any ideas? could it be just a plug breaking down?

  2. #2
    jester68
    Guest
    hi bud,open the relay box on left at side of clocks, there are 3 relays. take them out and swop the fan relay with one of the others, get bike upto temp again and see if they kick in, this worked for me,if bikes been stood contacts can fur up, also if you follow the wires from fan to the fan switch it is plugged into , disconnect it and bridge a piece of wire across both contacts with ignition on and the fans should operate, this tells you fans are ok and maybe the relay by the clocks has naffed up. your throttle--undo the two bolts that hold the throttle to the handle bar and see if throttle will return when twisted if so just dont tighten bolts as tight, hope this helps-- gez

  3. #3
    One Liter Duc Eater sergi75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW LONDON
    Posts
    616
    QUOTE=redratbike;141520]started the bike up on sunday after 2 months (yes i have topped it up a couple of times with an optimate)

    while it was running the temp rose to 105 and fans didnt cut in..how where do i check wiring

    As above and if everything is fine, it could be a temp switch faulty. If you narrow down the problem to the switch, before taking it off . Unplug the cables on the temp switch (Note wich one goes where) clean them with wd-40 and try again. (this last was the cause in my bike)

    throttle not returning ...so i need to investigate that
    Throttle bodies, throttle cable

    lastly running rough looks like one of the rear cylinder plugs on the rear most coil not working properly

    Mine was doing the same and it was a coil not making proper contact on the rear cilinder. Try clean them with wd-40 and ensure they make proper contact with the plug before taking the plug/s off....



    didnt have time to pull it all apart to investigate so hoping to soon before the weather warms up...any ideas? could it be just a plug breaking down?[/QUOTE]

  4. #4
    redratbike
    Guest
    cheers gents..will have a look this weekend

  5. #5
    DirtyDogg
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jester68 View Post
    hi bud,open the relay box on left at side of clocks, there are 3 relays. take them out and swop the fan relay with one of the others, get bike upto temp again and see if they kick in, this worked for me,if bikes been stood contacts can fur up, also if you follow the wires from fan to the fan switch it is plugged into , disconnect it and bridge a piece of wire across both contacts with ignition on and the fans should operate, this tells you fans are ok and maybe the relay by the clocks has naffed up. your throttle--undo the two bolts that hold the throttle to the handle bar and see if throttle will return when twisted if so just dont tighten bolts as tight, hope this helps-- gez
    Hey Jester,
    mine don't cut in either so thx for this post cos it makes sense and will try it at the weekend. Cheers fella

  6. #6
    redratbike
    Guest
    had a little play today

    sticky throttle = wd40 all over mechanism on throttle bodies...removed the top cover on the throttle pumped wd40 down cables ..now sorted snaps back a treat

    fans not cutting in = relay ok ...checked all wiring...temp switch contacts cruddy..gave them a scrape and some wd40

    running rough = removed all coild leads cleaned and yep wd40...seems ok now..didnt ride it

    the other problem i've got is a ignition key snapped in the switch ....wd40 dint fix this....bugger

  7. #7
    jester68
    Guest
    glad to help bud, have a look on ebay for an ignition barrel, should'nt be too dear.

  8. #8
    jester68
    Guest
    glad to help and can i say your mille looks fantastic bud.

  9. #9
    One Liter Duc Eater sergi75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW LONDON
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
    had a little play today

    sticky throttle = wd40 all over mechanism on throttle bodies...removed the top cover on the throttle pumped wd40 down cables ..now sorted snaps back a treat

    fans not cutting in = relay ok ...checked all wiring...temp switch contacts cruddy..gave them a scrape and some wd40

    running rough = removed all coild leads cleaned and yep wd40...seems ok now..didnt ride it

    the other problem i've got is a ignition key snapped in the switch ....wd40 dint fix this....bugger
    So are the fans cutting now? What was the problem in the end ?

  10. #10
    redratbike
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jester68 View Post
    glad to help and can i say your mille looks fantastic bud.
    what my yellow monster i love it!

    your body kits looking good i reckon you'll do ok with that...

    think i'll be able to save the lock....run out of time today

  11. #11
    AMA Pit Boss AREESSMILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brittany France
    Posts
    2,795
    What about the fans then?

  12. #12
    redratbike
    Guest
    thermosatic switch contacts all cruddy...fans now all ok ...

  13. #13
    DirtyDogg
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
    what my yellow monster i love it!
    He must be talking about mine!

Similar Discussions

  1. Fans not cutting in ffs
    By AREESSMILL in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
  2. haga side panel rough need pics please
    By oli in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM
  3. Selling up, or swap, rough value?
    By Anton2k3 in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: October 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
  4. Sticky throttle & greasy roads
    By swoodwar in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM
  5. Rough running
    By V-twindude in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 4th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •