Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Help please RSV will not start!

  1. #1
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5

    Help please RSV will not start!

    Hi,

    New to the forum!

    I just swapped a WR450 for a 2002 RSV it's a very nice bike in great condition for the year and it rides faultlessly.

    I took it out for the day on Saturday and rode 100+ miles with no drama. The next morning I came out to start it and it was reluctant to start as it was cold but it did finally go. I then realised I hadn't put the rear seat on so I turned the bike off using the key and now it will not start at all the starter motor does not even spin.

    It has a Datatool alarm fitted, I have checked the seat switch, the inline fuse, and tried turning the alarm on and off hoping to reset something. The battery is charged I have had it on the optimate.

    I brought a new starter solenoid that has not fixed the problem. when you turn the ignition on you can hear the fuel pump and the solenoid come to life but when you hit the starter the only noise comes from the solenoid!

    Any ideas before I rip the alarm off the bike! or replace the starter.

  2. #2
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5

  3. #3
    pat
    pat is offline
    Evil Twin pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Inveraray,Argyll
    Posts
    474
    Hi & welcome to the zone,check the tilt switch under the seat ,and tighten the battery leads,

  4. #4
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Hi & welcome to the zone,check the tilt switch under the seat ,and tighten the battery leads,
    If the leads were not tight would that stop only the starter motor surely if there is a connection it would work?

    Quoted off this site:

    The Aprilia tilt switch has a a built in resistor that the ecu needs to see or it will throw an efi warning. you just to remove the switch and fit a resistor to match instead to fool the ecu.

  5. #5
    pat
    pat is offline
    Evil Twin pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Inveraray,Argyll
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntgod1 View Post
    If the leads were not tight would that stop only the starter motor surely if there is a connection it would work?

    Quoted off this site:

    The Aprilia tilt switch has a a built in resistor that the ecu needs to see or it will throw an efi warning. you just to remove the switch and fit a resistor to match instead to fool the ecu.
    It's common for a loose battery lead to cause poor starting even though everything else works.the tilt switch has an arrow on it this must be pointing up...

  6. #6
    Evil Twin
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    294
    If it's definitely your starter solenoid that you can hear working (can you feel it operating with your fingers or better still disconnect your starter motor and neg. leads and then test the resistance of the contacts to confirm closed state?) then you have a power or starter motor issue but as there is a direct supply to the starter motor from the battery via the starter relay(which you have confirmed is definitely working correctly?) then it would have to point towards the starter motor integrity like 12v supply connection or motor brush length/tension, commutator condition etc

    If the control side of the starter relay is not functioning properly, as in the contacts arent closing inside due to a lack of supply to the electromagnetic coil inside the S.relay then it could be alot of other things which you'd need to work your way through the circuits.

    Cheers Dave

  7. #7
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wizbit View Post
    If it's definitely your starter solenoid that you can hear working (can you feel it operating with your fingers or better still disconnect your starter motor and neg. leads and then test the resistance of the contacts to confirm closed state?) then you have a power or starter motor issue but as there is a direct supply to the starter motor from the battery via the starter relay(which you have confirmed is definitely working correctly?) then it would have to point towards the starter motor integrity like 12v supply connection or motor brush length/tension, commutator condition etc

    If the control side of the starter relay is not functioning properly, as in the contacts arent closing inside due to a lack of supply to the electromagnetic coil inside the S.relay then it could be alot of other things which you'd need to work your way through the circuits.

    Cheers Dave
    Cheers guys I am going to get on it tonight and hopefully find out what the problem is! I will update tomorrow with my progress!

  8. #8
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    RAF Benson
    Posts
    12
    I had the same problem. It was the starter solenoid, even though the old one was clicking, and appeared to be working fine. Try bridging the solenoid terminals with pliers (rubber or plastic handled) while the ignition is on, it will spark, but if it starts its still the solenoid at fault.

  9. #9
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendall RSV View Post
    I had the same problem. It was the starter solenoid, even though the old one was clicking, and appeared to be working fine. Try bridging the solenoid terminals with pliers (rubber or plastic handled) while the ignition is on, it will spark, but if it starts its still the solenoid at fault.
    So annoyed! but happy at the same time! removed the solenoid from its rubber mount and it just worked! some sort of silly connection on the standard wires! now it just needs to stop raining! Thanks for everones help much appreciated.

Similar Discussions

  1. won't start
    By cringer in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 15th, 2011, 03:32 AM
  2. My rsv will not start
    By jamomac2 in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: January 1st, 2011, 07:42 AM
  3. '99 RSV won't start
    By TTM in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 20th, 2010, 10:25 AM
  4. Still won't start
    By jrbuete in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: July 29th, 2008, 02:52 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •