Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: can i swap tanks ???

  1. #1
    AMA Pit Boss redratbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Modding collectors in kent
    Posts
    2,969

    can i swap tanks ???

    guys,

    got a 2000 mille with a plastic tank...can i swap a metal one from 98-99 and just swap over the fuel pump and cap or are there any differences?.ie. gaskets etc.thanks

  2. #2
    Superbike Twin
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    168
    I went the other way (metal to plastic)
    Pumps are the same, apart from the overflow outlet thingies. You should be able to use your fuel cap, just the cap itself, not the plastic "cup" it sits in on the plastic tanks.
    On;y other thing I know that's normally a problem, but going from metal to plastic though, is that the plastic ones are abit more bulkier where it mounts to the front of the frame, the two bolts next to the top yoke part. Shouldn't be a problem going to metal though.

  3. #3
    Superbike Twin
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    215
    Strange that mark mines a 2000 on a 51 plate and mines metal i was told they didnt go plastic till 2001

  4. #4
    AMA Pit Boss supertedlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,903
    All interchangeable pumps and everything. Side panels to the rear end are different depending on year of the plastic tank as the later ones went lower to the frame and only had short bits to the seat

  5. #5
    Superbike Twin
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by jaseyb View Post
    Strange that mark mines a 2000 on a 51 plate and mines metal i was told they didnt go plastic till 2001
    2000 was the crossover year, some will be 98-2000 model, some will be early stock of the later bike.

    My 53 plate is a 2004 model RSV1000R Factory for example

  6. #6
    AMA Pit Boss redratbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Modding collectors in kent
    Posts
    2,969
    Guys,obviously tired when I put this up last night....I have a metal tank DOH!

    But thanks for all the replys

    So I can proceed with my plan

  7. #7
    One Liter Duc Eater Deacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sunny Oxfordshire
    Posts
    888
    and you want to install a placky version? why? what with swelling placky tanks from ethonol I'd stay with the metal version!

  8. #8
    Superbike Twin
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
    Guys,obviously tired when I put this up last night....I have a metal tank DOH!

    But thanks for all the replys

    So I can proceed with my plan
    So you've got a metal one on the bike now?
    You'll have to somehow block off the over flow outlets on your fuel pump otherwise you'll en up dumping all your fuel out of 'em. Plastic tanks don't have the overflow pipes going to the fuel pump, but to the edge of the tank itself.
    And you'll have to widen the fuel tank hinge/bracket otherwise it won't clear the top yoke when you've fitted it.

  9. #9
    AMA Pit Boss redratbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Modding collectors in kent
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by estranged View Post
    So you've got a metal one on the bike now?
    You'll have to somehow block off the over flow outlets on your fuel pump otherwise you'll en up dumping all your fuel out of 'em. Plastic tanks don't have the overflow pipes going to the fuel pump, but to the edge of the tank itself.
    And you'll have to widen the fuel tank hinge/bracket otherwise it won't clear the top yoke when you've fitted it.
    no no .. i have a metal one on the bike and the spare in the shed is metal as well ...had a serious blonde moment .....

  10. #10
    One Liter Duc Eater Deacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sunny Oxfordshire
    Posts
    888
    you dougnut, then in answer to your original question about if the tanks are compatible! .................. yes as they are the same so .................................. I'm taking it this is the colour change project?!

  11. #11
    AMA Pit Boss redratbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Modding collectors in kent
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacs View Post
    you dougnut, then in answer to your original question about if the tanks are compatible! .................. yes as they are the same so .................................. I'm taking it this is the colour change project?!
    dougnut indeed...and yes i think i'm going ahead with the colour change ...

  12. #12
    One Liter Duc Eater Deacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sunny Oxfordshire
    Posts
    888
    what about the flat tracker?

  13. #13
    AMA Pit Boss redratbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Modding collectors in kent
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacs View Post
    what about the flat tracker?
    still ongoing,my bikes live outside so the weather doesnt help :-(

  14. #14
    One Liter Duc Eater Deacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sunny Oxfordshire
    Posts
    888
    thats a bugger, what about getting a garden shed - a bit like a garage and dry?!

  15. #15
    AMA Pit Boss redratbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Modding collectors in kent
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacs View Post
    thats a bugger, what about getting a garden shed - a bit like a garage and dry?!
    got a 7x5 shed chocka with rsv stuff...daughters 8x6 play house houses numerous bike bits... lol now i've been told if i take them both down i can have 1 big shed but funds not allowing that at the moment

  16. #16
    AMA Pit Boss
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Shoeburyness, Essex
    Posts
    2,338
    You can safely store (ahem) the bits in my garage for a bit mate, you know while you sort your storage problems out.....

  17. #17
    AMA Pit Boss redratbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Modding collectors in kent
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_rsvr View Post
    You can safely store (ahem) the bits in my garage for a bit mate, you know while you sort your storage problems out.....
    ha ha no worries Scott i'll get there in the end

Similar Discussions

  1. Aluminum tanks
    By purirhn in forum Aprilia RSV4
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: August 11th, 2014, 04:02 AM
  2. ecu swap or chip swap help info needed
    By mad biff in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
  3. Carbon fibre fuel tanks or bodykits!
    By pull_the_pin in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 6th, 2011, 07:54 AM
  4. Fuel Tanks
    By GrahamRSVR in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
  5. Fuel tanks ???
    By rsvsteve in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 21st, 2008, 06:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •