Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cutting mufflers?

  1. #1
    Baby Twin VtwinFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9

    Cutting mufflers?

    I'm picking up a 2005 Factory this week. It has a really nice arrow exhaust on it but the mufflers are gigantic. Very appropriate for the period in which this bike was made but a bit much by today's standards. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with cutting the mufflers to make them shorter and how it ended up turning out.

    Pictures are encouraged

    Thanks!





    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3
    You should offer up a trade or sell those for something you like first. Those arrow pipes are sweet and I'm sure someone would love them. As far as cutting down, its pretty simple as long as you know how to cut and pop a rivet. Typically wrap your cut lines really well with tape so the carbon doesn't splinter when you cut.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Baby Twin VtwinFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by apriliaalex View Post
    You should offer up a trade or sell those for something you like first. Those arrow pipes are sweet and I'm sure someone would love them. As far as cutting down, its pretty simple as long as you know how to cut and pop a rivet. Typically wrap your cut lines really well with tape so the carbon doesn't splinter when you cut.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I've thought about that. I'd be open to trading them or selling them


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    491
    They are not that long for fashion trends, it was because that is what was required to make the best power and fueling etc. Expect to have to re set your throttle body balance at the very least if you make any significant change and lose a bit of mid range.

  5. #5
    AMA Pit Boss redratbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Modding collectors in kent
    Posts
    2,967
    Get on af1 forum if you are selling or swapping lots of guys stateside on there

  6. #6
    Baby Twin VtwinFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
    Get on af1 forum if you are selling or swapping lots of guys stateside on there
    Will do thanks!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    21
    Cutting the muffler may change the design and engineering of it. Would be better to just sell or swap it.

  8. #8
    Baby Twin VtwinFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by croxway View Post
    Cutting the muffler may change the design and engineering of it. Would be better to just sell or swap it.
    Yeah after some thought I've decided to go with the latter.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    21
    If you decide to get a new shorty exhaust. Check out Voodoo brand. They could custom fit the exhaust as you want. A pal of mine bought one from 4 wheel online and looks pretty clean and sounds amazing once installed.

Similar Discussions

  1. 2004 RSV Cutting out
    By ddarkeh in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 23rd, 2013, 02:45 AM
  2. Key cutting.
    By Scoldedcat in forum Mechanical and Technical
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 24th, 2013, 02:08 AM
  3. Akrapovic mufflers for sale
    By blarsen in forum eBay Auctions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 30th, 2012, 06:22 PM
  4. Bike cutting out
    By Phil in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: December 8th, 2009, 01:16 AM
  5. Fans not cutting in ffs
    By AREESSMILL in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •