Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Clutch slip

  1. #1
    AMA Pit Boss Sprocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pontefract, W.Yorks
    Posts
    4,335

    Clutch slip

    How hard is it to change the clutch plates I think mine's ready to be done as I was out today and it was red-lining at 130

    Also what would it cost for a set of OEM plates, or would it be a better idea to get those Barnett ones I've seen on e-bay (bit expensive, but if they are worth it then i'll get saving up )

    Cheers

    Dave

  2. #2
    AMA Pit Boss AREESSMILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brittany France
    Posts
    2,795
    Have a look at my post Sprock. I was shitting myself about changing them but they are piss esy

    95 quid for OEM plates and about 145 quid for Barnett.

  3. #3
    One Liter Duc Eater cheesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rutland, Leics, Midlands
    Posts
    919
    yep piece of cake to do

    might be worth stripping them out first & see if you have any glazing on them

    you could roughen the plates up as this helps

    I stripped mine as mine was slipping bad, nothing wrong with plates, everything in tolerance
    put it back together all is well
    also a change in brand of oil can cause this

  4. #4
    amb67
    Guest
    Don't bother with stripping and roughing up, just get rid of them and fit that Barnett clutch kit.

    You'll not regret it.

    PM me your email address and I'll ping across a 'how to' on your clutch.

    It's so easy Tim (Areesmill) could do it. LOL

  5. #5
    AMA Pit Boss Sprocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pontefract, W.Yorks
    Posts
    4,335
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    yep piece of cake to do

    might be worth stripping them out first & see if you have any glazing on them

    you could roughen the plates up as this helps

    I stripped mine as mine was slipping bad, nothing wrong with plates, everything in tolerance
    put it back together all is well
    also a change in brand of oil can cause this
    I recently had a service which included a change of oil, but why would that cause the problem and would roughing the plates up cure it

    Quote Originally Posted by AREESSMILL View Post
    Have a look at my post Sprock. I was shitting myself about changing them but they are piss esy

    95 quid for OEM plates and about 145 quid for Barnett.
    I'll have a look for that thread tomorrow Tim

    Quote Originally Posted by amb67 View Post
    Don't bother with stripping and roughing up, just get rid of them and fit that Barnett clutch kit.

    You'll not regret it.

    PM me your email address and I'll ping across a 'how to' on your clutch.

    It's so easy Tim (Areesmill) could do it. LOL
    I've spent too much money just recently so Cheesy's idea's going to be the cheapest option first

    My email addy is davidbrimelow@hotmail.com thanks guys

    Dave

  6. #6
    AMA Pit Boss supertedlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,903
    Sprock i did mine , can help you if you like

  7. #7
    amb67
    Guest
    Slipping clutch after an oil change, Hmmm!

    I think Spoonz has commented on this before, wasn't it to do with going from semi to fully synthetic oil??

    Worth doing a bit of a search to see if you can find that thread.

  8. #8
    Evil Twin
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    397
    Find out what oil they used sprocker. If they used fully synth that can cause the clutch to slip if the bike has been running semi synth up until that point.

  9. #9
    AMA Pit Boss Sprocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pontefract, W.Yorks
    Posts
    4,335
    Quote Originally Posted by supertedlover View Post
    Sprock i did mine , can help you if you like
    Cheers Stu, i'll give you a shout if i get stuck i'm going to have a bash today ( at the clutch ) as the weathers looking a little dodgy for riding..

    Quote Originally Posted by TTrouble View Post
    Find out what oil they used sprocker. If they used fully synth that can cause the clutch to slip if the bike has been running semi synth up until that point.
    They put in Silkolene Comp 4 15w-50, but i'm not sure what oil was in before

  10. #10
    AMA Pit Boss supertedlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,903
    I run that oil as do a few others and its good for me. You have my number sprock if you get stuck.

  11. #11
    AMA Pit Boss Sprocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pontefract, W.Yorks
    Posts
    4,335
    Quote Originally Posted by amb67 View Post
    Don't bother with stripping and roughing up, just get rid of them and fit that Barnett clutch kit.

    You'll not regret it.

    PM me your email address and I'll ping across a 'how to' on your clutch.

    It's so easy Tim (Areesmill) could do it. LOL

    Just got your e-mail Amb..excellent write-up

  12. #12
    gaz
    gaz is offline
    One Liter Duc Eater gaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    520
    fully sinth only effected bikes years ago. I've ran full for years in all my bikes and they've been fine

  13. #13
    Evil Twin
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    397
    Isn't there a bit of an issue with the Barnet clutch? I am sure I read that the plates are marginally thicker than standard and unless your clutch is 100% right it very often causes clutch drag and "lurching" when engaging 1st at a standstill.
    It may have been on AF1 or somewhere, I'll have a look.

  14. #14
    Evil Twin
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    397

  15. #15
    spoonz
    Guest
    semi or fully synth isn't the issue with the plates slipping as such it's when you go from one type to another once the plates are well impregnated with one or the other. It can glaze the plates and cause slip. Best to tell them the oil history when you go for service if you know it and stick with the type you historically have used.
    you can get them back sometimes with a roughen up with some 300 grit paper or similar.

    The barnett plates work ok, not used them but have heard they can be a bit grabby, but the main thing is to make sure you get the latest kit which has a narrower outer plate. the original kit made the stack height to great and dragged badly.

  16. #16
    One Liter Duc Eater Sabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    804
    If you do take them out to clean/roughen them up fror Gods sake dont mix them up like I did. I wasted a day sorting out the resultant horrendous slip. I dont know what year your bike is but mine, being an 00, has a slightly diffrerent clutch basket. Its vital the plates are put back in order as the basket face has a bevel.

    Oh and be careful with the diaphram.
    Last edited by Sabre; November 14th, 2008 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Thoight

  17. #17
    AMA Pit Boss Sprocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pontefract, W.Yorks
    Posts
    4,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    If you do take them out to clean/roughen them up fror Gods sake dont mix them up like I did. I wasted a day sorting out the resultant horrendous slip. I dont know what year your bike is but mine, being an 00, has a slightly diffrerent clutch basket. Its vital the plates are put back in order as the basket face has a bevel.

    Oh and be careful with the diaphram.
    Mines a 2000 model too. Didn't get chance to do it today but i might strip it tonight so watch this space for a "hows it go back together" question

  18. #18
    AMA Pit Boss AREESSMILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brittany France
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocker View Post
    Mines a 2000 model too. Didn't get chance to do it today but i might strip it tonight so watch this space for a "hows it go back together" question
    that

    Hey Sprocker

    If you do a write up with pics that would be great as I reckon mine will need doing soon, but being a feckwit mechanicallythat would be great

  19. #19
    danf1234
    Guest
    Snap I wouldn't mind seeing a write up

  20. #20
    AMA Pit Boss Sprocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pontefract, W.Yorks
    Posts
    4,335

    Clutch replacement

    This is an attatchment amb67 sent me. I've cut a bit of stuff from the start and added a multiplier factor as the plate/spring sizes on the document are in inches, and I used metric calipers.

    Hope this helps...it did me
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Discussions

  1. Clutch Vaccum Slip Action Not Working
    By babutler in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 10th, 2011, 07:52 AM
  2. clutch slip
    By jwer in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 25th, 2009, 10:26 AM
  3. Clutch slip
    By AREESSMILL in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
  4. Would bleeding the clutch help slip?
    By AREESSMILL in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
  5. clutch slip - is it the slipper clutch?
    By robin in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 5th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •