Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Fork seals

  1. #1
    Evil Twin stefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Posts
    398

    Fork seals

    How long would you expect the Ohlins seals to last on the R?

  2. #2
    amb67
    Guest
    I think Spoonz covered this off in a thread posted recently.

    Suppose it all depends on riding conditions but I would be upset if they weren't lasting 12 months or more.

  3. #3
    spoonz
    Guest
    mine lasted about 5 - 6k of mostly fair weather riding. (updated seal version)

  4. #4
    AMA Pit Boss andirsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Lothian, Scotland
    Posts
    2,522
    would this be about the same for the Showas Seems a very short life span Never had to change mine yet in 3 years!!!

  5. #5
    Evil Twin stefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Posts
    398
    Mine's done 23k's, the last 14k's were done in all weather.
    How will I know if the seals have had it?

  6. #6
    spoonz
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stefano View Post
    Mine's done 23k's, the last 14k's were done in all weather.
    How will I know if the seals have had it?
    They will start to leave a light oil mist on the legs initially before leaking proper.

    No hard and fast rule but i beleive Ohlins overhaul recommendation is 10k. The bushes can wear as well as seals leaking.

    No Showa's last much longer Andi (Dual lipped seal)

  7. #7
    Evil Twin stefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Posts
    398
    What's the likely cost of fitting new seals?

  8. #8
    spoonz
    Guest
    Do it yourself and cost about 40 -50 including oil.

    Dealer 120 -170 at a guess.

    i did see someone post on another forum 110 per leg

  9. #9
    amb67
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stefano View Post
    What's the likely cost of fitting new seals?
    Wouldn't expect to pay more than 200 for both forks to be resealed and set up for your weight/riding style.

  10. #10
    Evil Twin stefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonz View Post
    Do it yourself and cost about 40 -50 including oil.
    And how would I do that? Is it an easy task? Hold on, do I have to take the wheel off?

  11. #11
    amb67
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stefano View Post
    And how would I do that? Is it an easy task? Hold on, do I have to take the wheel off?
    Yeah, wheel off mate. LOL

    It's not hard but you have to be damn careful not to damage thenew seals in the fitting process.

    Search on YouTube for Ohlins Forks, there are a few videos that will provide guidance.

  12. #12
    spoonz
    Guest
    I have an Ohlins cap tool if anyone wants to borrow it.

    You can push the seal home with a socket although the vid will probably show a seal slide insertion tool. A couple of 15mm spanners and something to remove the seal circlip is all the rest you will need.

    Don't do it on the lounge carpet cos you will drips some oil and don't invert the fork without holding the damper rod or it will fall out.

  13. #13
    Evil Twin stefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonz View Post
    ....seal circlip....don't invert the fork without holding the damper rod or it will fall out.
    WHAT??
    Oh Dear, the price of ignorance...

  14. #14
    AMA Pit Boss supertedlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,903
    Stick with 120 at a garage or better still give griff at aprilia performance a ring a ding

  15. #15
    Baby Twin wobblybox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    67
    I dropped mine into the petrol tank, I'm hoping they'll sort themselves out

    Just left my 02 R to PLR suspension in Northern Ireland, hes replacing the seals and servicing forks and rear shock for about 250 all in, he was horrified at the amount of people running about with shit suspension (of course he's gonna say that like). At 7 years old the rear shock is well overdue for a service apparently. Maybe i'm gettin robbed but senseless to have blingy suspension which ain't workin right
    Last edited by wobblybox; February 20th, 2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: dyslexic

  16. #16
    AMA Pit Boss andirsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Lothian, Scotland
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonz View Post
    They will start to leave a light oil mist on the legs initially before leaking proper.

    No hard and fast rule but i beleive Ohlins overhaul recommendation is 10k. The bushes can wear as well as seals leaking.

    No Showa's last much longer Andi (Dual lipped seal)

    Cheers Spoonz...........

  17. #17
    1066RSV
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblybox View Post
    I dropped mine into the petrol tank, I'm hoping they'll sort themselves out

    Just left my 02 R to PLR suspension in Northern Ireland, hes replacing the seals and servicing forks and rear shock for about 250 all in, he was horrified at the amount of people running about with shit suspension (of course he's gonna say that like). At 7 years old the rear shock is well overdue for a service apparently. Maybe i'm gettin robbed but senseless to have blingy suspension which ain't workin right
    LMFAO. with wobblyboxes 1st line there.

  18. #18
    Evil Twin stefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Posts
    398
    Got it sorted today. Seals from Ohlins are half the price than seals from Aprilia.

Similar Discussions

  1. Fork seals
    By simon24 in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: April 19th, 2013, 07:29 AM
  2. Fork seals
    By irweasal in forum Racing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 12th, 2009, 11:55 PM
  3. Fork Seals
    By rsvnelly in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 19th, 2008, 03:24 AM
  4. Fork seals
    By rsvnelly in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 9th, 2008, 03:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •