Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 136

Thread: Motorcycle sat nav recommendations?

  1. #1
    One Liter Duc Eater ukcustombike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Not far from you!
    Posts
    628

    Motorcycle sat nav recommendations?

    Hi chaps!

    Right, im looking for advice on purchasing a sat nav for my rsv (new shape)

    Please bare in mind im on a budget. Ideally id like one that will work in Europe but if they are out of my price range ill stick with a UK one for now.

    1) Does anyone recommend a certain brand or model?

    2) Where can i get a special mount for a motorcycle?

    3) Is it posssible to wire these things to the bike so it runs straight off the bikes battery?

    4) Is it expensive for the subscription/updates? If so whos the cheapest?

    I know not all of you have these on your bikes, im hoping someone will be able to advise me, ive never purchased a sat nav before.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    danf1234
    Guest
    Garmin Zumo 400 for me. I paid £350 I think.

  3. #3
    amb67
    Guest
    TomTom every day for me!

    This is a good deal mate - TomTom Rider

    Keep your eyes peeled for second hand ones as they do appear on Ebay now and again and can go for as little a £150.

  4. #4
    One Liter Duc Eater ukcustombike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Not far from you!
    Posts
    628
    thanks guys.

    Do you think i would get away with a small car one and make my own mount? Their so much cheaper and lets face it once youve set it up for your destination do you really need to touch it again with gloves on?

  5. #5
    amb67
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ukcustombike View Post
    thanks guys.

    Do you think i would get away with a small car one and make my own mount? Their so much cheaper and lets face it once youve set it up for your destination do you really need to touch it again with gloves on?
    Check out Ebuyer first, they sell some units with Turbodog on them that can be adapted to take TomTom, all for around £60 delivered.

    Add in around £50 for the RAM mounts and then £80 for the Cardo Scala headset you may have well gone for the TomTom Rider kit.

    Just my 10p worth, mate.

  6. #6
    Superbike Twin
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    201
    use a map,sat nav's dont have an option for twistiest roads

  7. #7
    Superbike Twin TinTin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    196
    TomTom rider mate, they are great!
    No you cant really use a car one, coz they are not built to deal with the viabrations on a bike, and they are not dust or waterproof.
    The TomTom comes with blue tooth helmet ear piece, and a power lead to connect direct to your battery. They can be programmed on your pc for your route as well.
    As for mounts, it comes with a RAM mount, but a far better one is here:

    http://www.techmounts.com/

    You wont regret getting one of these, and you can get a car mount for it as well.

  8. #8
    Superbike Twin TinTin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    196
    Vince, you cant keep stopping to look at a map (especially if it's raining) in the middle of the mountains etc...
    What you can do is look at the map at home, or in the evenings when you are away, look for the bendiest roads on your route, put the names of towns/villages in your twat nav as way points, and then enjoy the ride without stopping at every junction wondering if you are on the right road!! Lots of european trips with groups of up to 10 bikes have proved this method works very well, and you are guaranteed to get to your hotel in the evening!

  9. #9
    Superbike Twin
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    201
    Never had any trouble all the times Ive been leading groups when been on the continent,even left my tomtom underthe back seat

  10. #10
    Baby Twin gjbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    46
    Just rode Aylesbury to Lake Vyrnwy with Tom Tom Rider 2, as always it was great, especially when selecting the avoid motorways option - A and B roads all the way, so yes sat navs can select the twisties with a bit of planning! Tom Tom Rider 1 had issues so avoid. Few links for you, wiring onto your bike, have a read of this (linked my relay to the front parking light):
    http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

    Distribution blocks and jumper blocks from here, (they are a good business although their confused (!) product range makes them look a bit mickey mouse!):
    http://www.dayga.co.uk/Components

    Easy mounting option that works well (very helpful company, call Bob for more info and gems of knowledge on bike sat navs):
    http://www.telferizer.co.uk/index.html

    As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. I have never regretted my Rider 2 purchase (inc. scale rider kit), which I got from Ebuyer.com, but not sure if they still stock them. I also use it in the car; mounting kit from amazon.co.uk
    Hope this helps,
    Gareth

  11. #11
    One Liter Duc Eater ukcustombike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Not far from you!
    Posts
    628
    I see your point Alan mate!

    Vince thanks for your input but i agree with tintin. I used to do this on my old bike with the map under a plastic cover on my tank bag it did work dont get me wrong but i wanna move with the times and fook carrying a dirty big map everywhere.

    Thanks for that info TinTin very helpful, those techmounts look ace and would do the job a treat. With regards to TomTom ive heard the customer service is terrible and your really just paying for the name? Ive been told other makes of sat navs are as good as tomtom if not better?
    Ill be honest all i had in mind was reading the screen rather than having the bluetooth headset on etc hence why i thought a car one would do mounted under the screen.

    Can you also wire the Garmin Sat navs directly to battery?

  12. #12
    One Liter Duc Eater ukcustombike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Not far from you!
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by gjbird View Post
    Just rode Aylesbury to Lake Vyrnwy with Tom Tom Rider 2, as always it was great, especially when selecting the avoid motorways option - A and B roads all the way, so yes sat navs can select the twisties with a bit of planning! Tom Tom Rider 1 had issues so avoid. Few links for you, wiring onto your bike, have a read of this (linked my relay to the front parking light):
    http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

    Distribution blocks and jumper blocks from here, (they are a good business although their confused (!) product range makes them look a bit mickey mouse!):
    http://www.dayga.co.uk/Components

    Easy mounting option that works well (very helpful company, call Bob for more info and gems of knowledge on bike sat navs):
    http://www.telferizer.co.uk/index.html

    As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. I have never regretted my Rider 2 purchase (inc. scale rider kit), which I got from Ebuyer.com, but not sure if they still stock them. I also use it in the car; mounting kit from amazon.co.uk
    Hope this helps,
    Gareth
    Thanks Gareth very helpful info there. Certainly food for thought.

  13. #13
    AMA Pit Boss bad boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    kent
    Posts
    2,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    use a map,sat nav's dont have an option for twistiest roads
    Oh yes they can fella,been to europe loads of times,all twisties.Never a prob,maps are just old!!!!..


    p.s.(tom tom rider 2 for me)

  14. #14
    One Liter Duc Eater ukcustombike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Not far from you!
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by bad boy View Post
    Oh yes they can fella,been to europe loads of times,all twisties.Never a prob,maps are just old!!!!..


    p.s.(tom tom rider 2 for me)
    Have you got any pics of yours mounted mate? How much extra do you have to pay for the europe maps?

    thanks

  15. #15
    LEGS
    Guest
    There really is only 2 options the Garmin Zumo or Tomtom rider. A cheap car satnav will simply not work as it's not waterproof or have the connections to be wired into you bike so the unit charges as you ride.

    I went for the Garmin Zumo which includes european mapping, which i have to say is a brilliant bit of kit.

    http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products...hitebox/11747/

    I used the excellent Telferizer mount which fits onto the headstock. These are available from here

    http://www.telferizer.com/
    Last edited by LEGS; May 25th, 2009 at 03:24 AM.

  16. #16
    One Liter Duc Eater ukcustombike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Not far from you!
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    There really is only 2 options the Garmin Zumo or Tomtom rider. A cheap car satnav will simply not work as it's not waterproof or have the connections to be wired into you bike so the unit charges as you ride.

    I went for the Garmin Zumo which includes european mapping, which i have to say is a brilliant bit of kit.

    http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products...hitebox/11747/

    I used the excellent Telferizer mount which fits onto the headstock. These are available from here

    http://www.telferizer.com/
    Thanks for your input LEGS

    That one in the link looks good, how much is the subsciption to update?
    Did it come with all the leads to wire it to your battery etc? Im looking at both the tomtom rider and the Garmin Zumo trying to weigh up what ones better value for money with all the accessories i need.
    That Mounting bracket looks the weight forward though im not sure that tomtom would fit on there because of its 2" depth?

    Its difficult trying to get an idea without acually looking at the real thing, i dont know of any shops here that stock them, even our local huge halfords doesnt have them

  17. #17
    LEGS
    Guest
    Yes the zumo comes with all the necessary wiring etc.....

  18. #18
    One Liter Duc Eater ukcustombike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Not far from you!
    Posts
    628
    Thanks mate.

    One other thing if ud be so kind.

    Ive looked on http://www.telferizer.com/ and cant see a price list or any way to purchase a mount. Do i have to purchase from a different supplier?

    Thanks in advance.

  19. #19
    Jussi
    Guest
    I have had Tomtom Rider from the date they announced it.

    Been pretty happy with it 3rd bike with Rider. On old shape Mille I have a mount that hooks in to rh Öhlins and it works....

    Tried also using my Nokia e90 built in nav and voice guidance, but the body seems to be in between the satelites and the Nokia.

  20. #20
    LEGS
    Guest
    no just email the guy from the link on the telferizer website. Mine was £28 if i remember correctly

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Discussions

  1. Tyre recommendations
    By tyzerised in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 15th, 2012, 02:32 PM
  2. Clutch lever recommendations
    By markps in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 13th, 2011, 08:23 AM
  3. Synthetic Oil Recommendations
    By babutler in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
  4. Chain Recommendations???
    By ukcustombike in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 20th, 2009, 02:14 PM
  5. Paddock stand recommendations
    By dexter in forum Aprilia RSVR
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •