Rear suspension linkage service

Feb 2011
CROYDON
not sure how much the aprilia ones are, it was just that i had these kicking around and they cost me nothing!

Jan 2009
Hi there,
Ive just found out that my dogbone and triangles to swingarm bearings are all knackered and the inner sleeves that the pins go through :angry
So my bikes in bits.
Ive read this thread and im a bit lost about what bearings and seals to get.
Could anyone offer some help/advice please.

Jan 2009
Well ive not had any relpies to my little plea for help :roll
Anyway, the kit in the link i posted is for 2nd gen models so the double connecting rod pins that the bolts go through wont fit :angry

Ive ordered seals from simply bearings http://simplybearings.co.uk/ R21/SC type. Thanks AREESSMILL wherever you are :thumbup
The bearings 18X24x12 from evilbay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HK1812-NEEDLE-ROLLER-BEARING
Ive had to order genuine Aprilia double connecting rod pins from Aprilia Yorkshire

Oct 2010
The stock HK 1812 bearings in your ebay listing will work but can have a shorter life as they are not the same as the Aprilia version. The oem version is custom made for Aprilia and has no cage and twice as many needle rollers as the normal version (Full Compliment).

Very early on aprilia used the caged version but they can twist due to the loads on them which is why they redesigned their own version. Make sure you check and regrease them every now and then as it's the best way to keep them sweet and spot any potential problems. (at least once a year)

Full Compliment version

Sep 2011
leicestershire UK
Doing mine today, started to squeak on my last run out hoping its just a matter of clean and grease as I'm out on it the weekend :) looking at it though its not great.. looks like it has never been done before :( I've only had the bike 4 weeks and wasnt looking forward to taking a spanner to it soo soon.
Thanks to RSV zone and the handy tips on here I would of probably stripped the back end to do it..now i know better :)

Jan 2009
Ive just been out and taken my linkage apart after seeing this thread again.
I was just curious to see how the bearings and seals had performed.
Im pleased to report that theyre still in great condition.
There was still grease in there but put some fresh stuff in and re-assembled.
Jobs a good un :thumbup

For the price of the bearings and seals i wouldnt mind if i had to replace them every two years, but lets hope they last longer than that.

Sep 2011
leicestershire UK
OH Great!! removed the linkage and there all knackered..I dont think they've every been done..had to WD40 the pin (swingarm) to get it to move and remove it..some bearing fell out the others rusted solid..linkage same..no riding this weekend:angry

Feb 2011
Glastonbury UK
There are plenty of shock links on ebay, just check they are the same length. My ohlins is 130mm centres but most standard are 120mm I think. Just ask em if the bearings are allright and then give em a grease. I had to put new bearings in mine as I could'nt get a 130mm linkage which has the bigger pin as well. Like yours they were totally rusted and most of he needles fell out and i don't think they had ever been greased. Try MARKSMAN BEARINGS as he knows he's aprilia bearing stuff as he sells headstock sets as well. Good luck